Pages I Like

Thursday, January 24, 2013

TODAYS THE DAY!!!!!!

Good morning all
I'm writing this at 3:30 am. Ive been having a rough few days of Insomnia.  But that goes along with my RSD. Check out these websites for more info on RSD.  RSD HOPE and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Association  (just click on all the highlighted words and they will send you to all the different pages)

Well as the title says Today's the day! Today is Crazy Sock Day 3.  Crazy Sock Day was created by a true RSD warrior Melanie.   Melanie was just a child when RSD struck her and changed her life.  Due to her RSD Melanie developed Gastroparesis.   So on the 1st anniversary of her RSD she created Crazy Sock Day as a way of celebrating the small victories despite living with a chronic illness.
Click here to check out Melanies story. 

The 1st Crazy Sock Day was only about 100 people.  Last year it was about 500 and this year we have had over 1800 people on facebook alone commit to wearing Crazy Socks.  It's amazing what a determined child is able to accomplish.

Please also check out the Crazy Sock Day FaceBook page
and this awesome video of 2nd annual Crazy Sock Day 2012  made by the fabulous Jennifer Samson.

So Please put on your Craziest socks and take a picture and either share it here or on the CSD facebook page. 

Now I will share a little bit of my journey with RSD. You can either check out my awesome friend Jennifer's blog interview with me on The Crazy Cripple or you can continue reading here.  Though Jen tells my story far better than I Do. 

Much like Melanie i was just a child when RSD hit me.  I was a healthy active 12 year old tomboy. I loved sports and riding my bike. I was always running and playing.  Until one day I went to school and came home at lunch in the worst pain I had ever felt.  Unlike most who get RSD I did not have an injury or any kind of trauma to  my knee.  It just happened.  The 1st year was hell.  I went through test after test. I had a cast put on because my dr thought there may have been a fracture he couldn't see.  They knew something was going on but they had no idea what.  After a year I was sent to CHOP.   Within 15 minutes they had a dr who was able to diagnose me.  Within a week I was admitted to the Children's Seashore House and had my 1st nerve block.  CSH became my home over the next couple years. I wound up spending a total of 12 months as an inpatient.  Getting nerve blocks and intense (6-8 hours a day) Physical therapy.  Within 3 years of starting this treatment plan I went into remission.  Which is very rare with RSD but let's face it I can't do anything normally. 

So for 6 beautiful years i had virtually no pain. I gave birth to my 2 girls with no issues. I went to school and had a great start on my career.  Until one night in July of 1999.  I woke up with a cramp so bad i was screaming in agony.  That cramp changed my life forever.  Whatever happened I'll never know but that cramp triggered my RSD all over again only worse.

Over the last 14 years I've had to give up working.  However, I've been able to focus on my family 100%. I even home/cyber school 2 of my children.  I've endured hundreds of blocks, injections and procedures for the pain.  I've had 6 spinal cord stimulator surgeries.  Yet I still live in pain every day.  Pain so bad even moving hurts.  Pain so bad clothes hurt.  Yes even SOCKS hurt an rsder.  I've learned many tricks and techniques for coping with my pain.

I've been able to take this life I've been given and learn to make the best of it. I'm able to embrace my creative side. Both through my physical appearance (which if i was still working I'd never be able to do) and through crafting.  I've become a self taught makeup and nail artist.  Im no pro but I'm learning everyday.  I've also started an Amazing RSD support group.  I along with my dear friend and fill in Mom Diane have created a true support group.  We have provided help, love and support for hundreds of RSDers all over the world.  I'm able to put my experiences to good use by sharing with newbies.  Plus I've made some of the most amazing friends.  That I know will continue to be a part of my life for a long time to come.  As much as I started the group to help others the group has helped me. Having people understand what my daily life is like makes it easier.

So as you see RSD has changed my life but not all for the bad.  Im happy.  I love the person that I am.  Yes I HATE RSD but I will not let it beat me. I will continue to fight and push through the pain.
I will continue to focus all that negative energy from the pain into creating awareness for this monster.  I will also focus more on raising money not only for research but for those suffereing from this disease who are unable to provide the basic necessities for themselves because of RSD.

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read my story and learn a little bit about RSD.  There is no cure but hopefully through awareness campaigns like Crazy Sock Day we will one day be able to find a cure.




No comments:

Post a Comment